Monday, 5 September 2011

so........

Its been a bit of a mad week this week. Usually my lifestyle is quite paired back and relaxed, I spend my days working on art and other activities related to art but because it was Moonpies birthday this week we went a little crazy, by any standard our crazy is probably a quarter of that of people who would term themselves as 'party people' but still its affected me quite deeply. By Saturday morning I was in pieces mentally. Which has led me to the conclusion that alcohol + me = bad things, so I'm going to be making a concerted effort to not drink from now on. I always think of how Picasso would handle himself in any given situation, I don't know why because he's not my favourite artist by a long shot (and a mean bastard from what I can tell) but I guess its just that he was such a presence in the art world and became the embodiment of an artist. I bet if he met me when I was on one of my hyped moments he'd probably laugh in my face and call me a silly woman, which for some reason makes my cheeks burn a little, strange thing to say I know but I wouldn't want Picasso to think I was a silly woman.

Mid Week Moonpie (FJH), the C Tek and I went down to Shoreditch for a gig they were playing in the Electricity Showrooms,

FJH and CTEK playing Electricity Showrooms 1Sep2011

the venue was bizarre,  with a flashing 70's style dance floor and mirrored ceilings.

Electricity Showrooms 1Sep2011

I managed to get some really great shots though! But also ended up dancing like a crazy person to their set and becoming a little bit of a garish feature on the dance floor (embarrassing moment number 1).

Electricity Showrooms 1Sep 2011








Friday night my beloved brother and sister finally made a trek down to London for a meeting (about our exciting future project) and then rather OTT shindig in the bunker. It was wonderful to see them as I miss them all the time and often wish they were just down the road from me rather than an hour and half by train away.

Yesterday Moonpie and I popped down to the Saatchi Gallery to scope out 'The Shape of Things to Come: New Sculpture.' Of course being a Saatchi show I expected it to be pretty varied, was particularly impressed by a couple of artists though. Particular Folkert de Jong and his strange abstract characters, I spent some time looking into the eye's of a few of these sculptures and feeling unsettled but inspired.

























Folkert de Jong, Seht der Mensch; The Shooting Lesson 2007

As for my own work,

New painting glowing in the dark

I have been painting fairly consistently over the week. I still have this nagging feeling that my idea is not quite there yet though, I'm going to finish these two canvases that I've been working on over the past month or so and then probably embark on a much bigger project with more scope.

New painting detail

New Painting detail

Today I will be looking at Rosseau (again-a painter i always go back to when I'm beginning a new thought process), Hip Hop culture (which is something that has started to intrigue me and feels culturally relevant) and symbolism in its many forms, especially in old masters paintings. I feel this is going to lead to some exciting new work, will keep you informed on the results. Have also been re educating myself on Folk Art and Outsider Art, found a really interesting Jamaican artist called Everald Brown which has been one of the start off points for this new idea, I've been denying my joy for painting nature for to long so can't wait to get back into it!





















Everald Brown - Church Triumphant (1969)


And finally here's my Moonpie, who is currently snoozing on the sofa next to me unaware that my painting is sneaking up on him (he ate that yoghurt and then feel back to sleep, which is fairly typical).

FJH and my new painting

Ta Ta for now folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails